Play the popular game using the Source game engine
- Category Action
- Program license Full Version
- Works under: Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Windows Vista / Windows XP
- Program available in English
- Program by Valvesoftware
If you loved the original Counter-Strike game and want something that feels similar but offers a new level of game play, give Counter-Strike: Source a try.
The original game let you pick between playing as one of the good guys or one of the bad buys. The bad guys were terrorists who completed missions like planting and detonating bombs while the good guys were the ones responsible for protecting politicians and finding bombs before the terrorists could set them off. Though Counter-Strike: Source is similar to the original, you'll love how much more exciting it is when compared to the older game.
Released in 2004, Counter-Strike: Source puts you on a team and gives your entire team a series of objectives to complete together. It might ask you to find and defuse a bomb, locate a group of hostages, kill a group of terrorists, or get all the hostages to a safe place. The objectives given to your team vary from level to level, though you may get some extremely hard objectives right off the bat.
One big difference between this one and the original game is that you can no longer keep playing once you die. The original game made you wait a few seconds before sending you back to a new location on the map. With Counter-Strike: Source, you're now out of the game once you die. You won't come back until all players die or one team completes all their objectives. This can lead to some long wait times as you watch everyone else play.
The developers of this game took an older mod called the Half Life Mod and enhanced the graphics. While the graphics are definitely an improvement, you'll quickly notice that the game looks outdated in comparison to modern first-person shooters. There are also some minor issues with glitches and bugs that will keep you from progressing. If you like playing on maps released by other developers, this game won't work. Counter-Strike: Source only works with official Counter-Strike maps.
The upside is that this game lets you play as part of a real team. It comes with certain objectives that no one player can complete without the help of the rest of the team. Depending on how you play and what you look for in a first-person shooter, Counter-Strike: Source might be a great alternative to the other games that you play.
- Requires that you work with your team to complete objectives
- Plays like the original game but with new features
- Lets you play as a SWAT or terrorist team
- Improves the original maps
- Enhances the outdated graphics of the original game
- Will only work with official Counter-Strike maps
- No longer lets your character spawn back into the game after dying
- Dying early on will leave you waiting around for the next level
- Some harder objectives pop up early in the game
- Is not an official game mod